With Microsoft Teams you are able to have meetings with users outside your organization and you are also able to record it. This is a great feature, the only downside is that external users will not be able to watch the meeting recordings by default.
In this article we’ll show you two workarounds to share the recordings with external users while keeping the video in the stored safely in the Microsoft ecosystem.
How to download meeting recordings
To get the video file of your meeting you need to go to Microsoft Stream, this is the platform that processes the video and stores it.
- Open Microsoft Stream – https://web.microsoftstream.com/
- On the menu click on My Content and then Meetings
- Look for the video you want to share and click on the … to open the more options menu
- Click on Download video
This process will get the video stored on your computer but guest users can’t still view it, to share it you can use a Microsoft Teams team or OneDrive.
Share a meeting recording using Microsoft Teams
If you have the guest access enabled in you Teams tenant and if the external user is already part of it you can share the video using a team doing the following:
- Select a team where the external user exists and open one of the channels
- Click on the Files tab
- Upload the video
- Once uploaded select the file
- Click on the … to open the more options menu
- On the menu select copy link
- Change the link setting to and select the desired policy
- Copy the link and share it the external users
Share a meeting recording using OneDrive
If the user does not exist in your tenant or you simply do not allow guests you can share the video using OneDrive doing the following:
- Upload the video to OneDrive
- Right click on the video and select Share
- Select the appropriated sharing policy
- Share the link with the external users
None of the workarounds is a perfect solution for this limitation of Microsoft Teams and Stream but it’s good to know that until Microsoft is able to provide this feature, meeting recordings can still be shared in a safe way.